Join our innovative community and share in the Legend of Korra experience! Unlock all features that are only available to members!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Graphic Novels The Rift
Warriorwolfpup
Republic Citizen
RE: The Rift
You can find it Only our Republic Civilian members can access links, please click here to join us today!
I'm definitely buying the hardcover of The Rift when it comes out.Happy The comics are gradually getting better in my opinion. The Rift's been, for the most part, much better than The Promise and The Search.
11-05-2014 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sparkstoaflame
how bout we do anyway
Metal-Benders
Been intending to read it for a while now, the preview looked pretty awesome - is it up on YouTube yet? Horrified
11-08-2014 12:50 AM
Warriorwolfpup
Republic Citizen
Not yet as far as I can tell. But definitely interesting ending. :3
11-08-2014 02:05 AM
Beckham
Back to Live
Administrators
Finally read it, and a really great ending, both uplifting and depressing at the same time. Plus kaiju battles are never not a good thing.

But Lao's dime-turn just because they were dying felt weak, the Aang vs. Toph crap wasn't necessary and was rushed through anyway, and the Nutha and Niyok thing should have been its own story so Katara would finally matter in these graphic novels for once. I don't know why the storytelling is still so clumsy after three years of this stuff.
12-13-2014 04:30 PM
Warriorwolfpup
Republic Citizen
I dunno... if I was on the fence on something, such as hating my parents, I think a life or death situation would get me to change my words pretty quickly.

Aang vs. Toph was definitely a weird side story, but a theme that they wanted to really convey I guess. Old and new and coexist in some form.
Yeah... Katara's thing was COMPLETELY useless. It went nowhere and had very little impact on anything if at all. Looks like she'll get even less of a role in the next comic though. Too much screen time/storyline in the cartoon show so now they have no ideas or something?
12-17-2014 01:22 AM
Beckham
Back to Live
Administrators
(12-17-2014 01:22 AM)Warriorwolfpup Wrote: Only our Republic Civilian members can access links, please click here to join us today!I dunno... if I was on the fence on something, such as hating my parents, I think a life or death situation would get me to change my words pretty quickly.

But if that's true, it meant your hatred was never genuine. That there was always a part of you that wanted to turn it all around.

For all Toph's folks knew, she could have been dead. Lao had already lost Poppy, so that should have made him even more willing to reconcile any relationship he could get. And Toph came to him to talk things out, instead of the other way around, implying she had a bit of guilt about the way things turned out. All he could do is blame her for running off and consider her the same spoiled secretive little girl he thought of her as after he first saw The Blind Bandit in action. I mean, "I have no daughter"? What kind of words were that for someone who apparently loved his little girl so very much once the walls literally started closing in?

I think a more convincing resolution would have been for Toph to guard the refinery from Old Iron of her own volition, have her say the crud about a symbol of unity and all that, and let Lao see that she truly cared about everything he did, the work he threw himself into.
12-17-2014 02:00 PM
Warriorwolfpup
Republic Citizen
I'm sure that they would've heard stories regarding the Avatar and Toph though. They had sent the 2 essential mercenaries to go after Toph, and were probably updated on the situation on at least some point. I'm also assuming that news regarding the Avatar's travels along with his companions spread. If even the Fire Nation could find out about "Tough" joining the Avatar, Toph's parents, one of the wealthiest in the Fire Nation could learn some of that news. Then Toph and Katara even sent a letter to her parents to update them with Hawky as well (hoping Hawky knew where to go). So while they could have assumed that she was dead, there were likely clear signs that she was still alive and kicking with the Avatar.

Lao was just being stubborn and headstrong, but it's clear that he did love his daughter. When you're angry and bitter, you tend to say things that you don't mean or even things that you regret having said after it's been done. Yes he didn't accept her for who she was, but she was still his daughter who he raised for 10 years. It's a huge shock to have a person you thought you knew everything about do a complete 180. So he reacted very badly. He seemed to blame most of his misfortunes on her, and did want to essentially disown her after the last straw of her running away. But clearly he didn't actually disown her as her passport as a Beifong still worked, and her name as a Beifong wasn't discredited. Yes "I have no daughter" is very harsh, but we could see even before he said it that he was very shaken by seeing her again, because she still is his little girl.
12-17-2014 02:31 PM